What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry can be accomplished in many forms: intravenous, oral, or with nitrous oxide gas. Intravenous sedation is the administration of a tranquilizer drug into the vein with a very thin needle. The sedative produces a deep relaxation.
Who can benefit from IV sedation dentistry?
Dr. Meltzer and Dr. Hsieh may recommend IV sedation dentistry as a great option if you:
- Need a procedure that you are worried might normally be painful
- Have a fear of dentistry
- Do not like needles, injections, or sounds associated with dentistry
- Have a severe gag reflex
- Have trouble getting numb
- Need fewer visits to complete significant dental care
- Want a comfortable, relaxing environment
- Have not had good dental experiences in the past
What will the appointment be like?
During IV sedation in Aspen Hill, Maryland, you will be in a completely relaxed and comfortable state. You will be able to respond, but you will not feel pain.
What do I do before my IV sedation appointment?
Our helpful dentists will instruct you about pills to take one hour prior to your scheduled appointment. You should not eat or drink at least 8 hours prior to your visit. For safety reasons, you should have someone drive you to and from your appointment.
For more information on sedation dentistry, please feel free to contact us today at IV Sedation and State-of-the-Art Family Dentistry!